Our client, a 50-year-old woman visited a neurologist with complaints of dizziness and loss of balance and coordination. The doctor failed to order a sufficient work-up which would have led to a diagnosis of paraneoplastic neurologic syndrome, a condition in which the body has an autoimmune response to a malignant tumor, and which in this case was attacking our client’s cerebellum. The doctor noted in the medical record that he should do tests related to this when he initially evaluated the patient, but he did not follow through.
Because the proper work-up was not done, our client’s condition grew worse and worse. She wound up in a wheelchair and had great difficulty talking. She ultimately lost the use of her arms and her hands, thereby losing the ability to feed herself.
At trial, our lawyers presented a neurologist who is a noted expert on paraneoplastic neurologic syndrome who explained that the disorder is most often associated with cancer and involves an autoimmune response to a tumor. He further explained that although rare, the condition is known to the medical community and blood tests for antibodies are available. The expert also said that had the defendant followed through on his initial suspicions and done an appropriate work-up, he would have diagnosed the condition prior to our client’s condition becoming so severe. In fact, later on, the woman was diagnosed with early-stage breast cancer which was the precipitating cause of this autoimmune response. The cancer was readily treated, but the condition it caused was devastating to our client’s life and livelihood.
Because of the severity of the condition, our client was awarded a substantial verdict: the jury awarded her $8,004,000, including $2,500,000 for past pain and suffering, $280,000 for past loss of business profits, $2,000,000 for future pain and suffering, $2,224,000 for future custodial care, $620,000 for future loss of business profits, $180,000 for past loss of consortium, and $200,000 for future loss of consortium.
- $950K Misdiagnosis Breast Cancer
- Significant Victory on Appeal
- $4.4 Million Settlement Where Hospital Destroyed Fetal Monitoring Strips
- Breast Cancer Misdiagnosis Settled
- Brain Injury Case Settled
- Successful Settlement – Doctors Failed to Diagnose Blood Infection
- Successful Settlement – Hospital’s Negligence Led to Leg Amputation
- Brad Zimmerman and Eli Fuchsberg Settle Case Where Patient Aftercare was Mismanaged
- Settlement – Gastric Bypass Patient Negligently Treated by Emergency Room
- Successful Settlement – Knee Replacement Surgery Leads To Leg Amputation And Cardiac Arrest
- Successful Settlement – Failure To Treat And Diagnose A Pulmonary Embolism
- $700,000 Sickle Cell Disease Wrongful Death Verdict
- $925,000 Settlement Where Doctor Failed To Timely Diagnose Herpes
- $925,000 Settlement Where Emergency Room Failed To Properly Assess And Treat Stroke
- $900,000 Settlement For Improper Gallbladder Procedure
- $875,000 Settlement Where Cancer Patient Received Improper Colon Hydrotherapy
- $750,000 Settlement For Negligence In Skin Cancer Exam By Dermatologist
- $750,000 Verdict For Legal Malpractice By Medical Malpractice Lawyer
- $700,000 For Medical Malpractice Involving Doctor’s Failures In Treating Young Child
- $7.5 Million Settlement For Teenager Paralyzed By Spinal Tumor
- $3 Million For Failure To Diagnose Infection
- $3.25 Million Settlement In Misdiagnosed Case Of Back Pain
- $2 Million For Failure To Timely Diagnose Gynecologic Cancer
- $2.3 Million In Wrongful Death Of 38-Year-Old Father
- $1 Million Settlement In Case Where Doctor Failed To Diagnose Prostate Cancer
- $1 Million Settlement For Botched Cholecystectomy
- $1.5 Million Settlement In Case Of Unnecessary Surgery
- $19 Million In Heart Bypass Surgery Case
- $1.2 Million For Man Who Suffered From Undiagnosed Prostate Cancer
- $1.25 Million Settlement For Matter Involving Inadequate Care Of Patient’s Hypertension
- $1.25 Million Settlement Failure To Timely Diagnose Prostate Cancer
VERDICTS & SETTLEMENTS
Breast Cancer misdiagnosed on a mammogram.
With Joe Lanni at the helm, our medical malpractice legal team scored a major victory.
Child Becomes Hypoxic Intermittingly During Labor.
Jail Failed To Provide Proper Medical Care.
Doctors Ignored Our Client’s Complaint Of A Breast Lump.
Prescribed Medication That Caused Complications