Is Cerebral Palsy Preventable?
Could Your Child’s Cerebral Palsy Have Been Prevented?
A diagnosis of cerebral palsy is devastating for children and parents alike. You may have suspected something was wrong long before putting a name to it. Your son or daughter’s once-bright future may now seem like a frightening mosaic of developmental delays, cognitive abnormalities, and physical struggles.
Some Cases of Cerebral Palsy Could Have Been Prevented or Avoided
Your top priority is helping your child live a normal, healthy, happy life to the fullest extent possible. But you also want to know why. How could this have happened to your child? Could it have been prevented?
In a small number of cases, cerebral palsy can be traced to medical errors during labor and delivery or oversights in prenatal care. Examples of these mistakes include:
- Insufficient fetal monitoring
- Failure to order a C-section soon enough
- Failure to properly treat placental abruption
- Failure to identify and treat Rh disease, congenital rubella syndrome or other health conditions during pregnancy
- Failure to properly treat severe jaundice
- Failure to properly manage preterm labor
An exhaustive review of the medical records may be necessary for flagging these errors.
What Can You Do if Your Child Has Cerebral Palsy?
If medical malpractice or negligence contributed to your child’s condition, you may have strong grounds for a legal claim. There are many reasons to consider pursuing a claim:
- You can get answers and closure about what went wrong, sparing yourself the constant wondering and uncertainty that would otherwise haunt you for decades.
- You can hold the negligent parties accountable, which in turn could prevent other families from having to suffer the same tragedy.
- You can get the monetary compensation necessary for giving your child the best life possible.
No family should have to face the lifelong challenges that go along with cerebral palsy – especially when it could have been prevented. The legal system can give you the opportunity to seek the justice you and your family deserve.
Schedule a consultation with our cerebral palsy birth injury attorneys. They will help you evaluate your family’s situation. 212-869-3500.
HELP WHEN THE UNIMAGINABLE HAPPENS
Our attorneys at the Jacob D. Fuchsberg Law Firm have a breadth of experience in claims involving civil rights violations, medical malpractice, and personal injury. If you or a loved one has been injured, contact us today to discuss your legal options. Let our family help yours.